Want to visit Leederville, Western Australia? This guide is all you need!
Leederville is renowned for its vibrant entertainment scene, diverse dining options, and urban lifestyle. Discover why this suburb has become a cultural hub and a favourite among locals and visitors.
As a Perth resident, I have intimate knowledge and firsthand experience of this Perth suburb and understand the streets, landmarks, and hidden spots. So let’s explore the best local restaurants, bars, and attractions that may not be found in guidebooks.
Luna Cinemas, a well-known independent cinema complex, shows diverse films, including mainstream movies, independent releases, documentaries, and international films. It often features art-house films and cult classics that may not be screened in mainstream cinemas.
The smaller theatre sizes have an intimate and cosy atmosphere, bringing you closer to the screen and creating a more immersive movie-watching experience.
Leederville Restaurants & Cafes
Leederville boasts a thriving food scene, with numerous restaurants and cafes offering a variety of cuisines. The suburb caters to all palates and budgets, from trendy brunch spots to fine dining establishments.
Some of our favourites are:
- Daph’s Restaurant – a small 20-seater restaurant with degustation menu around A$90pp
- Will St – a hidden culinary gem known for its innovative Asian fusion cuisine, stylish ambience, and exceptional service
- Tagine Tapas – a vibrant eatery that offers a tantalizing array of Moroccan-inspired small plates bursting with exotic flavours and spices
- Impronta Espresso Ristorante – a charming Italian dining spot where you can enjoy authentic espresso and indulge in delicious, traditional Italian food
- Bad Love Burger Co – a trendy burger joint that pushes the boundaries of flavour with their mouthwatering, inventive burger creations
- Duende Tapas Bar – a lively and atmospheric bar serving a wide range of Spanish-inspired tapas dishes and expertly crafted cocktails
- Kitsch Bar Asia – a cosy, cool hangout serving delicious Asian-style street food.
As the sun sets, Leederville comes alive with its buzzing nightlife with numerous bars, pubs, and clubs. Some of the best are:
- Roberts on Oxford – a small sophisticated bar serving cocktails, beer & fine wine
- The 21st Amendment – a lively bar known for its extensive selection of craft beers, creative cocktails, and inviting atmosphere. Also hosts open mic comedy nights and live music
- The Garden at The Leederville Hotel – a popular outdoor venue that combines a relaxed garden setting with a lively atmosphere, delicious food, refreshing drinks, and live entertainment
Art in Leederville
Leederville features striking murals adorning building facades to intricately designed graffiti pieces tucked away in hidden corners. The streets of Leederville are transformed into an open-air gallery. Walking through the neighbourhood, you can see diverse artistic styles and themes, from abstract patterns to thought-provoking social commentaries.
Leederville offers a mix of stores and fashion boutiques. Whether you’re looking for unique clothing, homeware, books, or gifts, you can find a variety of independent retailers and speciality stores in the area.
Leederville Parks and Recreation
Hyde Park, located 2.5km away, is a stunning park with beautiful trees, picturesque lakes, and walking paths.
Beatty Park Leisure Centre is a popular destination for fitness enthusiasts, with swimming pools and a gymnasium.
Getting to Leederville
One of the key advantages of Leederville is its convenient connectivity and proximity to Perth city centre. The Leederville Train Station, on the Joondalup Line, provides easy access to the suburb and surrounding areas. Plan your journey with TransPerth.
Historical Background of Leederville
The area where Leederville is situated was originally inhabited by the indigenous Noongar people, who relied on the rich resources of nearby swamps and lakes.
In the late 1820s, William Leeder and John Monger first settled the area around Leederville (from whom the suburb got its name).
Leeder established the Leeder Hotel in 1838 and began to lease his land. With an increased demand for food due to the arrival of more convicts, the surrounding land was used for market gardens, dairy farming, and poultry farms. The development of Leederville began in the late 19th century when overcrowding became a problem in Perth.
Over the years, Leederville has evolved from a small residential settlement into a thriving suburb known for its heritage-listed buildings, restaurants, and nightlife.
Have you been to Leederville? We’d love you to join our Facebook Group and let us know! Our community enjoys hearing tips on what to see and where to eat plus seeing your photos.
Can I find vegetarian or vegan options in the restaurants of Leederville?
Leederville is known for its diverse culinary scene, and many restaurants and cafes offer vegetarian and vegan options. Popular establishments like Kitsch Bat Asia provide delicious plant-based dishes to cater to different dietary preferences.
Is parking available in Leederville?
There are parking options available in Leederville. The suburb has street parking, as well as several car parks. However, checking for any parking restrictions or time limits before parking your vehicle is advisable.
Save Money Planning your Trip
Click on the links which will take you direct to the website.
We mainly use Booking.com for accommodation as they consistently have the lowest rates with free cancellation on most properties.
Car Rental 🚘
To compare rental car company prices, we use Discover Cars, an award winning car rental comparison website. They offer competitive pricing in over 10,000 locations worldwide and are highly-rated.
Campervan/RV Rental 🚐
Drivenow is a good resource to compare campervan hire in Western Australia as it includes all the large companies like Britz, Maui, Jucy as well as smaller ones.