This Perth to Kalbarri Road Trip Itinerary will provide you with memories to remember for a long time. The route winds its way along the Coral Coast, taking in crystal-clear waters, white sandy beaches, and dramatic cliff faces. There’s plenty to see, so be sure to pack your camera and your sense of adventure!
Dave was born in Western Australia and I moved here in 2000. Since then we’ve explored this beautiful state and have visited Kalbarri numerous times with our daughters.
🛣️ Distance: 575 km (357 miles) One-Way
🚘 Driving Time: 6 hours One-Way
☀️ My Favourite Time to Visit: Autumn
⏳ Recommended length of time: 4 to 7 Days
🛣️ Unsealed Roads: No
⭐️ My Highlights: Hiking, Whale Watching
This post may contain affiliate links (of companies I book through). This means I may receive a small commission if you book through them. You can read the disclaimer for more information.
How to get from Perth to Kalbarri by road
The quickest way from Perth is to take the Mitchell Freeway (State Route 2) to Hester Avenue and turn right. After 1 km, turn left onto Wanneroo Road, which becomes Indian Ocean Drive at Yanchep.
Indian Ocean Drive connects with Brand Highway south of Port Denison, which takes you to Northampton, where you’ll turn off towards Kalbarri.
Tip: Make sure to take the Port Gregory turn-off at Northampton. This is the more scenic coastal route into Kalbarri and allows you to see the Pink Lake at Hutt Lagoon.
Read these Indian Ocean Drive Tips to stay safe on these roads (there have been numerous accidents on Indian Ocean Drive).
Do you need a 4wd to visit Kalbarri?
Most roads around Kalbarri are sealed, including Kalbarri National Park, so you don’t need a 4wd to visit Kalbarri.
There are car hire booths at Perth Airport, but it’s best to pre-book your car rental.
To compare Australian car hire prices, Discover Cars is an award-winning car rental comparison website. They offer competitive pricing in over 10,000 locations worldwide and are highly rated.
DriveNow is a good resource to compare campervan hire in Western Australia. It includes all the large companies like Britz, Maui, & Jucy as well as smaller ones.
Compare Rental Cars Here.
Perth to Kalbarri Road Trip Itinerary
Duration: Four to Seven Days
Kalbarri can be reached in just over six hours from Perth by road, but consider stopping along the way to break up the journey or make it part of a road trip. Make rest stops if you’re planning to drive to Kalbarri in one go to prevent driver fatigue.
Pick and choose where to stop from Perth to Kalbarri, depending on the length of time you have.
1. Cervantes & The Pinnacles
The first place to stop, two hours from Perth, is the Pinnacles to marvel at these incredible limestone pillars in Nambung National Park.
If you’re not planning on driving to Kalbarri in one day, pop into Cervantes to see this small coastal community.
Find out more about the Pinnacles, entry fees, and how to see them by clicking the link below.
2. Jurien Bay
Jurien Bay is half an hour from Cervantes and two and a half hours from Perth. It’s a great place to stop if you have kids to break up the journey as the town has playgrounds and a skate park. So, grab a coffee and pie from the bakery and head down to the foreshore.
Things To Do in Jurien Bay
For a complete list of things to do in Jurien Bay, click the link below.
3. Port Denison/Dongara
One of my favourite places on this route is the small fishing town of Port Denison. Consider an overnight stay here if you want to extend your Perth to Kalbarri road trip.
Things To Do in Port Denison & Dongara
For a complete list of things to do in Port Denison, the best places to stay, where to eat, and other tips, click the link below.
This coastal city has plenty to offer with cafes, restaurants, shopping, arts, history, and beaches. If you want to extend your trip, you can take a tour like this Full Day Tour of the Abrolhos Islands.
Geraldton is 45 minutes from Port Denison and under five hours from Perth.
Forty minutes from Geraldton lies the country town of Northampton, which was registered as a Historic Town of Importance in 1993. The main things to do in Northampton centre around the town’s history, notably the Church of St Mary in Ara Coeli, Convent of the Sacred Heart, and Chiverton House.
Things To Do in Northampton
Read about the history and find out what to do in this guide on things to do in Northampton.
6. Pink Lake (Hutt Lagoon)
Hutt Lagoon, one of Western Australia’s pink lakes, is known for its incredible changes in colour throughout the day. It can go from bright pink to light purple, depending on the time of day and the amount of cloud cover.
The best times to visit Hutt Lagoon are mid-morning and sunset, but it’s still worth visiting as you will be driving right past on the final leg of your Perth to Kalbarri road trip.
The final stop on your road trip and the best part – Kalbarri. Aim to stay here for at least two full days to experience this beautiful part of Western Australia. If you like hiking, you’re in for a treat, as trails lead you through some of the most incredible natural landscapes.
There’s a lot to do in Kalbarri, so make sure you leave enough time in your itinerary to fit it all in.
This travel guide to Kalbarri offers an extensive list of things to do, where to eat, the best accommodation, and a brief history of the town.
Add-ons for a Perth to Kalbarri Road Trip
To increase this Perth to Kalbarri road trip, you have the option to stop at more places on the way to Kalbarri by adding this Indian Ocean Road Trip. Alternatively, you can extend the trip north to Exmouth as per this Perth to Exmouth road trip.
Where to Stay in Kalbarri
On our last visit to Kalbarri, we stayed in a villa at Kalbarri Tudor Holiday Park. It was clean and had enough room for our family of four. A bonus was that we could use all the facilities in the holiday park.
We have previously stayed at the Kalbarri Seafront Villas in the townhouse as this was the only villa left. It sleeps up to eight, with four bedrooms.
Read our guide on the best accommodation in Kalbarri, which includes lots of tips and advice.
Book early to avoid disappointment as accommodation gets booked up quickly during peak season and school holidays.
Perth to Kalbarri Road Trip Packing List
- If you take prescription medication make sure you have enough for the duration of your trip and bring a script renewal from your doctor
- Swiss army knife, torch, & spare batteries
- First aid kit, emergency blanket & fire extinguisher
- Tools & spare tyre
- Duct tape
- Umbrella/rain protection
- Mix of clothing, including lightweight and breathable options for hot days and layers for cooler evenings
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Swimwear & towels
- Insect repellent – mosquitoes can carry diseases such as encephalitis and Ross River fever
- Sun protection – sunscreen, large brimmed hat, sunglasses, and long-sleeve top
- National Park holiday or annual pass, which can be purchased online or at various outlets like visitor centres. RAC WA offer a 50% discount for members
- A CB Radio is helpful if you are planning to travel to remote areas
- Cash and credit/debit cards
- Toilet Paper
- Travel mugs, reusable water bottles, utensils, rubbish bags, and reusable bags
- Eskie or portable fridge
- Snacks and Water
- Camera, drone, phone, tablet, and chargers
- Entertainment (cards, board games, books etc.)
- Guidebook (I still like having a paper version)
Tips for a Perth to Kalbarri Road Trip
- Leave early in the morning to arrive well before dusk when animals can hinder and danger the roads.
- Don’t drive tired. If you feel sleepy, pull over at one of the many rest stops on the side of the road.
- Pack a picnic to enjoy at one of the beautiful parks on your road trip to Kalbarri. Maybe make a flask of tea or coffee too.
- Make sure you have plenty of water for your journey – stay hydrated.
- Keep some snacks handy for the car journey.
- Be prepared that you may lose the radio signal in some parts, so bring some music with you.
- Know your route and research the best places to stop along the way. Our Western Australia travel guides provide great advice on which hotels, restaurants and attractions to visit.
- Check for road closures which can be closed due to several factors, including bush fires.
- If you are towing a caravan, trailer, or boat ensure you know the legal load limit for your vehicle and that it is well secured. The maximum speed limit for a vehicle towing a trailer or caravan is 100 kmph, unless otherwise signposted.
- Buy a Telstra SIM card as their regional coverage is the best.
- Road trains (large trucks with up to four carriages) can be as long as 60m so extreme care must be taken if overtaking.
- Keep up to date with emergency advice on the WA Emergency site.
- The open road speed limit is 110 km per hour and 50 km per hour in built up areas. However, pay attention to the signs as they often change.
- It is illegal to touch your mobile phone while driving and all passengers must wear a seatbelt.
- Carry a first aid kit.
- It is highly recommended to have a GPS in order to avoid getting lost or download a mapping app like Avenza that provides a map even when you are out of range.
- Note a list of emergency contacts before you leave.
- Keep valuables out of sight.
With these considerations in mind, you should be able to enjoy a safe, fun, and memorable road trip from Perth to Kalbarri.
If you have any questions, please join my Facebook Group or ask in the comment section below. For regular updates, follow me on social media.
Other Useful Kalbarri Guides
Save Money Planning Your Trip
Click on the links, which will take you directly to the website.
We mainly use Booking.com for accommodation as they consistently have the lowest rates with free cancellation on most properties.
For pet sitting in Western Australia and worldwide, we are members of Trusted Housesitters. Free accommodation for pet and house sitting.
Car Rental 🚘
To compare rental car company prices, we use Discover Cars, an award-winning car rental comparison website. They offer competitive pricing in over 10,000 locations worldwide and are highly rated.
Campervan/RV Rental 🚐
DriveNow is a good resource to compare campervan hire in Western Australia as it includes all the large companies like Britz, Maui, and Jucy as well as smaller ones.
Travel Insurance 🌏